Saturday, March 10, 2012


What struck me most about the book during and after the death march was the relationship between father and son.  It seems as if they only live for each other and their family member is the only reason they persevere.  Elie says, “My father was running next to me, out of breath, out of strength, desperate.  I had no right to let myself die.  What would he do without me? I was his sole support.” (86-87)  This relationship makes me think of my own family, and what I would do in a situation like this.  I care for all of them, but at the same time, you have to take care of yourself because when natural instincts take over, they are hard to ignore.  
Elie finds himself conflicted with this at multiple times.  Sometimes he would show selflessness and bring his father water or extra soup and bread, food that he could have saved for himself.  But when Elie’s dad was being beaten for his food by his neighbors, Elie did not move in fear of getting hurt himself.  This conflict is also present when Wiesel sees an old man being beaten by his son over bread, this is extremely saddening to me because the father, who was hiding bread to give to his son is actually killed by his own child because he became so desperate for food.  Not only does this sadden me, but it angers me because I do not understand how someone could kill their own father over breadBread.  But at the concentration camps, it seems as if it is just everyone for themselves.  As the Blockalteste said, “Don’t forget that you are in a concentration camp.  In this place, it is every man for himself, and you cannot think of others.  Not even your father.  In this place, there is no such thing as father, brother friend.  Each of us lives and dies alone.” (110)  I hate to admit it, but I do agree with this quote... Sometimes you have to be selfish, in order to survive, but there are limits on selfishness.  Killing one’s family member over a few crumbs of bread is pathetic, there is no excuse for that kind of inhumanity, even in times of desperation.  Being selfish led to the deaths of both father and son.  I do believe, the key to Elie’s survival was his ability to detach himself from the tragedies around him.
When Elie’s dad died, he showed almost no emotion whatsoever.  He said, “I spent my days in total idleness.  With only one desire: to eat, I no longer thought of my father, or my mother.  From time to time I would dream.  But only about soup, an extra ration of soup.” (113)  He was completely focused on his own survival and barely thought about the death of his father or where his mother and sisters were.  This kind of numbness allowed him to persevere through difficult times and survive.  

2 comments:

  1. It's true what you said about natural instincts- these people are at a certain point now where they've become so animalized that they're staying alive solely on instinct. Even when they're marching, all else fades away and the only thing they are thinking about is putting one foot in front of the other. I especially noticed the whole animalized, instinctual thing with their hunger. As you pointed out, these people were so agonizingly desperate for nourishment that they didn't care what they had to do to get it. When I read about the incident you mentioned where a son killed his own father for bread, I forgot that this book isn't fiction. When I realized that every single event in this book actually happened, I was shocked. That type of scene seems like an author-created dramatization, showing through the father and son how desperate people were. But it wasn't a dramatization, it was an awful moment that Wiesel saw with his own eyes. Many times, when reading this book, I've had to remind myself that this is a work of nonfiction, that all these things are truth, not fabrications. It's terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I to did not enjoy the scene when the child killed his father for this ration of bread. Personally no matter what the situation was i would never do that, I am surely positive of it, but when some loses control of their thoughts, crazy things can happen. The Germans have them in the palm of their hands and they have them fighting against each other. This is what they want. After reading this entire book the thought of fiction or non-fiction must of slipped out of my mind because when looking back all of this stuff was real. Seen by Elie himself. Honestly seeing all of the cruel things that this man has seen is their still any reason to live at all? Marching on and on, stomping on people, almost suffocating, watching other families tear each other apart, seeing your father pass away in front of you. Isn't that too much for one to handle? But it seems as if he had become emotionless. When remembering that this is a non-fiction book and all of the things said actually happen you can realize how terrible this event was.

    ReplyDelete