Saturday, March 10, 2012

As I read this last section of the book, I found with surprise that I was almost as numb as Wiesel himself. Reading phrases that should be shocking and disturbing, I was almost as indifferent and emotionless as him. I think it's because I've become so used to his detachment- at this point, he's so weak that he doesn't let his emotions get in the way of his only goal- to survive. Because of this, he's able to confront the piles of dead people with indifference, even though some of them could have been his neighbors, teachers, or peers. He says, "We started to march once more. The dead remained in the yard, under the snow without even a marker, like fallen guards. No one recited Kaddish over them. Sons abandoned the remains of their fathers without a tear." (92) The Nazis got exactly what they wanted, just short of exterminating the Jewish people- they've completely dehumanized them. Even stronger than appearances and qualities, I'd say emotions are the greatest driving point of our humanity- love, anger, jealousy. If we can't feel anything, we're nothing. So even when the Jews lose their names, personalities, appearances, they're still human. But it's when they become completely numb that that sense of any kind of humanity is gone.
When Wiesel was stuck under the pile of dead people, in danger of suffocation, I couldn't help but cringe. He says, "Someone had lain down on top of me, smothering me. I couldn't breathe through my mouth or my nose. Sweat was running down my forehead and my back. This was it; the end of the road. A silent death, suffocation. No way to scream, to call for help." (94) Suffocation is one of my biggest fears, in my opinion one of the worst ways to die. When I see people drown in movies, I can't help imagining- how long were they struggling for? How long did it take them to stop trying to breathe? It's so disturbing to me. I was glad that Wiesel was able to escape the pile, physically clawing out of a pile of dead people. It's just yet another example of how animalistic the prisoners have become.
Being so attached to music, the section with Juliek and his violin struck a chord with me. Yes, I realize that this was a trivial thing compared to his father's death, but for some reason, the description of Juliek playing his heart out before he died and dying next to his violin stuck with me more than Wiesel's father's death did. Wiesel remembers, "All I could hear was the violin, and it was as if Juliek's soul had become his bow. He was playing his life. His whole being was gliding over the strings. His unfulfilled hopes. His charred past, his extinguished future. He played that which he would never play again." (95) I've definitely had days when I sat and played guitar and sang for hours, as if I would never do so again. It's an indescribable feeling, where nothing else matters but the music and you don't have to think about anything else. It's nearly tangible how much Juliek felt his music. I think that's what separates the amazing music from the mediocre- it's easy to tell when people are actually passionate about what they're singing/playing. It's just so powerful, how Juliek's violin was so important to him, as if his soul was threaded through its strings.

3 comments:

  1. I too noticed most of the things that you pointed out in your response. I do agree that Wiesel survived by being able to detach himself from everything around him and by this point in the book, his feelings became more understandable to me. When he started to show his numbness, I felt it too. I think it is interesting that you pointed out the idea that true dehumanization occurs when the inflicted are no longer able to feel emotions and recognize things such as love, hate, sadness, depression and desperation. The feelings that we experience are truly what make us human and shape us into the individuals that we are. The face of dehumanization can be seen as losing your name, appearances, personality, and no longer being treated as an equal; but the heart of dehumanization is losing the emotions that bring us to life. Being forced to lose the power to feel is the point in which all hope is lost and the ultimate crime has been committed.
    Unlike you, I do not have a great attachment to music, and I don't have a particular instrument that I play, but I too was strongly struck by the death of Juliek. He put his heart and soul into every note that he played when he put on a small concert for the broken and the dying. Every emotion he had was thrown into playing music on his violin, and he somehow mustered up the energy to tell his story in the last moments of his life. This was extremely sad to me because he showed emotion in a time when everyone around him was cold and numb. When I read Elie's words about Juliek, I was stunned. He said, "All I could hear was the violin, and it was as if Juliek's soul had become his bow. He was playing his life. His whole being was gliding over the strings. His unfulfilled hopes. His charred past, his extinguished future. He played that which he would never play again." (95) This struck me because Juliek showed emotion which was such a change from the numbness and detachment in the rest of the book. It made me take a breath and remember that the people in the book were in fact people. It took me away from the numbness I was wrapped up in and caused me to feel true sorrow again. When he died, I also was more saddened than when Wiesel's father died. I think it's because he showed so much more emotion that spoke for all the people in the book that were dehumanized. It made me think of him as a real person again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your second paragraph talks about the scene where Wiesel is suffocating under a pile of dead and dying people and that was one part that really stuck with me as well. As Wiesel wrote about running out of air, and desperately clawing for a breath of air I can honestly say my heart was beating faster than any moment in the book. This one scene seems to be the point where Wiesel was the closest to death he had been in the while story. But what affected me the most, is how wrong it would be to die like that. I believe that no matter when someone dies, they should go out with dignity. And let's be honest, it isnt very dignified to die by suffocation under a pile of dead bodies. I am by no means saying that death is a good thing but it is one of the few certainties in life and I know not a single living organism wants to die without there dignity intact. Death is a touchy subject, and therefore, not many people want to talk about it. We arent just scared of death because we don't want it to happen. We're scared because we don't know very much about it. It is an shadowy subject; we don't know when or how it will happen and that scares a lot of people. Your example is just one of the many examples of death presented in this section alone so i figured this would be a good time to mention it. By the way, I liked your pun about "striking a chord."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks, I didn't think anyone would notice it

      Delete