Tuesday, March 6, 2012


     After getting through about half the book, I’ve been noticing a trend. It seems like the author had become more and more comfortable with the new way of life he had been dropped into. By now, it was as if nothing fazed him. For example, I thought the concept of referring to people as numbers was cruel and inhumane. However, it seems the author had gotten used to it: “A-7713” “That’s me.” “After your meal, you’ll go to see the dentist” (51). It’s as if he had been accustomed to being called “A-7713.” I see this as a lack of optimism quite honestly. He has basically given up his identity, and how can you maintain dignity without an identity? This doesn’t point in a good direction for the events to come.

     Although I am enjoying the book, not a chapter goes by where I don’t wince in horror multiple times. Two examples stick out in my mind from the last section of reading. One is the part where the author gets his gold crown removed. This isn’t done delicately or even with proper instruments. Instead, “That evening, in the latrines, the dentist from Warsaw pulled my crown out with the help of a rusty spoon” (56). I can’t even imagine the pain from such a grotesque procedure. Even with the right tools I’m sure it would hurt but this dentist uses a rusty spoon, I mean come on. The other part I was horrified at is a scene I know everyone who reads this will remember; it’s the execution scene. It’s bad enough that a child is being executed, but it takes an even more horrifying turn. He describes the scene as two of the victims are swallowed by death almost instantly. But then he describes the third victim, the child: “the third rope was still moving: the child, too light, was still breathing… And so he remained for more than half an hour, lingering between life and death, writhing before our eyes” (65). A death like this is exponentially worse than a normal hanging death. I honestly cannot understand why the executioner wouldn’t take into account the child’s weight difference. I saw a show on the history channel where there was a chart used in medieval times which dictated the proper length of rope to use for different weights of the victims. This kept incidents like this from happening. But to think that more modern executioners would neglect to check that seems preposterous. Perhaps they did it on purpose to serve as a warning for disobedient prisoners?

3 comments:

  1. I agree that Wiesel seems eerily accepting of his situation, but I don't agree that his sense of acceptance has been increasing. He's always been oblivious, even in the beginning of the story when his neighborhood was being evacuated. He and his neighbors didn't really put up a fight- they were optimistic that the evacuation wouldn't even happen, and once it did they made excuses to themselves that it would be good for them (which is insane- how could being completely brutalized and dehumanized be good for anyone?) I can't tell if being so comfortable with the predicament is a tool he's using to veil his despair, or if he really is so numb. I couldn't imagine giving up my identity so easily- honestly, if I was at that camp, I'd probably just be crying all day.
    Also, pretty much everything freaks me out, so all of the brutal treatment in the book makes me completely uneasy, especially the incidents you pointed out. I cringe at the thought of his crown being pulled out; he wasn't even put to sleep! I have an extremely low tolerance for pain, so I can't even imagine how much that would hurt. I remember talking in History class last year about how Civil War battle amputations were unsanitary, using dirty tools; that's what the dentist reminded me of. And the hanging... It makes me shudder to hear of executions from the past and suicides of the present. It's hard not to imagine the pain that would come from being hanged like that, and so frightening that the young boy had to hang between life and death for awhile. It's all so terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick I totatally agree with what you are saying I also metioned the same thing about how all indentity of a person at these camps are lost. They no longer a a person just a figure who is refered to as a group of numbers and letters. this is totally dehumanizing a person into abosolutely nothing, giving them no traits or personalities that make them themselves. Aside from that way of dehumanizing a person, a rusty spoon? When reading this, I thought to myself if my dentist ever brought out a rusty spoon I would back-hand the s*** out of him. Please excuse my language. Even with a normal spoon I wouldn't feel any more safely about it, because it would still hurt very badly. Also I don't know if you remember it but he had to pay some of his food to get the procedure done? "What. My ration of bread so that you can have my crown?" (56). That's crazy, and not fair at all! Although better than breaking his teeth to get it out, this is one of the cruelest things I ever seen been done to a person, and talk about total control over a person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Wiesel has been seeming to become more and more accustomed to his situation, but I don't know if "comfortable" is the right word. It's hard to imagine the possibility of someone being at all comfortable with such horrid, brutal conditions. So instead, I think he's become numb. He doesn't show any desire to fight back- maybe it's because he's too weak to try, or because at this point he can't bring up the strength to care.
    I too have noticed many examples of disgusting inhumanity in the book. It's hard not to, as you said, "wince in horror" when I read all of these brutal situations. I don't understand how the Nazis could treat these people like absolute dirt; like they're worth absolutely nothing. Like they're not even humans. And you're probably right about them making the hanging so violent and scarring on purpose- I wouldn't put it past them to be so cruel, using the death of a young, angelic boy to serve as a warning and teach a lesson. At this point, there's not really anything I'd be surprised to hear them do, because they've been so incredibly awful so far.

    ReplyDelete