Saturday, March 10, 2012

     This section of the book was a very sad and depressing part of the book.  It really showed how these Jewish people were tortured so bad even the reader can feel their pain and misery.  I  finally really felt exactly the same as Wiesel emotionless, and seeming as if all hope is gone.  This next line can show how hard some of the people in this terrible situation will try to help their family but yet there is no point, "Next to me, someone was trying to awaken his neighbor, his brother, perhaps or his comrade. In vain. Defeated." (89).  Putting myself in that situation with my brother or a best friend, I don't know how I would say goodbye.  In this tragedy that is happening, not just this part but the whole Holocaust, I honestly don't believe that I could have made it with the best of luck. The reason why is I don't know if I would have the guts to stick it out, but who knows if I was put their my thought process on the whole thing may change and I might be able to make it only with good luck.
     What I also enjoyed of this part of the book and just about the Jews in this march was how even though they have to run a long distance, when they hear its only a few hours left, they aren't giving up.  "Nobody wanted to give up now, just before the end, so close to our destination." (92). This is courage and determination!  Even in the roughest of times these guys wouldn't quit, and if the SS officers could give them credit for one thing it should be their heart to continue in order to live.
     Finally the last part of this book that had had me reading and reading to see what happens was when they made it to their destination and they all began laying down.  Wiesel had found it friend Juliek the violinist while suffocating him by accident because other people where laying on top of him. Elie said "I could not answer him. Someone had lain down on top of me, smothering me. I couldn't breathe through my mouth or my nose. Sweat was running down my forehead and my back. This was it.; the end of the road. A silent death, suffocation. No way to scream to call for help." (94). To me this is a very scary way to die, no way to breathe and you just stay their struggling but nothing can be done.  This is similar to drowning, as if you were chained to the bottom of a pool and their is no way to get out taking in water. Imagine the struggle, the fight back saying "I don't want to go!" when in reality you can't get out. I felt that the death of Juliek was the best way for him to have gone. When Wiesel heard him playing "He was playing his life. His whole being was gliding over the strings. His unfulfilled hope. His charred past, his extinguished future. He played that which he would never play again." (95). What I liked about him was that even in the worst possible pace on earth, he still did what he loved to do, and he played his heart out until the very last breathe that he took.

No comments:

Post a Comment